Glory 2 – 6 Sabden (CUP)

Glory 2 – 6 Sabden

Sabden scoring sensation, David Fallon, bagged five goals as Sabden demolished Glory in their own back yard, to propel the Treacle Miners into the Cup Semi-Finals.

Having been disappointing in their home showing the previous week, the Sabden boys rose to the Gaffer`s challenge to redeem themselves in emphatic style.

Honouring our brave men and women …

Following an impeccably observed two-minute silence to acknowledge the game was taking place on Remembrance Sunday, the opening exchanges were frantic; with Glory perhaps the better of the two sides early on. Central midfielders Adam Fuller, and new signing, Tom Diggins were being given no time to weave their magic by their Glory counterparts and it was through constant closing down of the Sabden midfield that Glory drew first blood on 21 minutes, with their forward firing a rising drive past Nick Galea in the Sabden goal.

Sabden then started to respond strongly to the setback, ably underpinned by the resolute defensive pairing of Ben Dewhurst and Zac Ashworth; with full backs Dave Kerrison and captain-for-the-day, Sol Islam snuffing out further encroachments from the Glory forwards.

As the half wore on, Fuller and Diggins began to get a grip in the central areas; and their good work fed Jason Bates who sent over a superb cross on 27 that other new signing, Jonny Heap just failed to connect with. By now, the Sabden machine was clicking into top gear and further bombardments ensued, with Fallon burning the keeper`s hands from a free kick and Heap firing a half-volley just wide.

Glory were desperately trying to make it to the interval with their lead intact, but a neat passage of play produced the equaliser.

Dropping deep to take a short pass from Diggins, Fallon held up, then played the ball wide to Tom Connell, who was growing into a new role in left midfield. Scampering past his marker, Connell delivered an excellent low cross. Diggins, having made the run, managed to touch the ball on to Fallon, who buried the ball low into the bottom right corner for a 42nd minute equaliser.

Round the wall … but keeper saved

Sabden began the second half where they finished the first, by continually looking to pressurise the Glory defence. On 50 minutes, Sabden took the lead for the first time in the tie, and what a stunning strike it was! Taking a knock down just inside the opponents half, Jason Bates dribbled forwards from his right midfield position before launching an unstoppable thunderbolt from 30 yards which almost tore a hole in the top left corner of the net.

On 58 minutes, a suspiciously offside-looking Glory forward turned the defence and, to be fair, finished very smartly to bring the scores level on 2-2. Sabden responded well and soon regained the lead. A smart ball from the back from the attack-minded Zac Ashworth stretched the Glory defence, and David Fallon raced onto it and waited for the keeper to advance before smashing a shot across him and into the far corner, for his second of the match.

In what was turning out to be a very entertaining match, played in a great spirit, Glory were awarded what seemed to be a slightly fortuitous penalty, Ashworth being, in our opinion, harshly adjudged to have tripped an opponent. Outstanding Sabden stopper, Nick Galea, was in no mood to concede further goals however, and leapt to his right to brilliantly save the spot kick and deny the Glory their equaliser.

It proved to be a decisive contribution from Galea, as from that point, the energy level of the Glory players dissipated and the Sabden forward line began to run amok.

Only 3 minutes after the penalty, Jonny Heap chased a lost cause right along the Glory backline. Such endeavour was rewarded when a hasty clearance from the defence only found the Sabden midfield. An incisive through ball was played in, and whilst Glory hands shot in the air to claim the offside, Fallon, who was clearly onside, rightly ignored the calls, burst through and toyed with the keeper before nonchalantly passing the ball into the corner, to complete his second hat trick of the season – both against today`s opponents.

Fallon cooly completes his hat trick

Now playing excellent football all over the park, Ashworth played a raking ball deep from the right back position on 75 minutes. Fallon`s upper body strength and balance was enough to muscle his marker out of the race to leave him with a clear run on the goal. Never one to disappoint in such situations, Fallon made it 5-2 having taken the ball around the keeper to playfully walk the ball over the line.

Cheeky chappie Fallon takes his tally to 4

With 3 minutes to play, and with Glory now utterly beaten after a bright first hour, Jack Birkett came off the bench for a cameo appearance, to partner Ben Dewhurst at the back. However, it was the impressive Dewhurst who having helped marshall the backline, showed creative ability in providing Fallon with yet another opportunity to score from just inside the box. Fallon duly applied the coup de grace for his fifth of the afternoon and Sabden`s 6th.

Shortly following the sixth goal, the referee put the Glory out of their misery; only temporarily we hope as we face them again this coming weekend in a home clash.