Sabden 3 – 4 Barrowford Celtic

Despite having only having 11 available players to select from due to serious injuries, holidays and work commitments, the Sabden lads performed admirably in the muggy heat, only to concede a cruel deciding goal 5 minutes from time.

It is fair to say that the visitors had the better of the opening half hour, with Sabden seemingly unable to get their passing game going; and Barrowford made their dominance count with the first goal of the afternoon.

Perhaps a little against the run of play, Sabden managed to claw their way back into the game on the half hour, with David Fallon latching onto a through ball and striking a venomous swerving shot from 20 yards and into the top left corner of the goal. Thierry Henry would have approved!!

Sabden by now were showing glimpses of their ability, but the team went to sleep at a corner and Celtic scored from a free header to send Sabden into the half-time break 2-1 down.

Early on in the second half, the score-line got worse for Sabden, with the defensive line beaten by an excellent pass, matched by an exquisite finish by the Barrowford striker (it pains me to big up other team`s players but sometimes you have to give credit where it is due!).

Despite this set back, the Sabden midfield had by now got the game by the scruff of the neck and were starting to create lots of chances. The hard-working and skilful Zac Musker was starting to cause major headaches for the Celtic full back; ably assisted by some tough tackling from young Sabden left-back, Tom Connell.

The hard work eventually paid off as striker Joe Keane got the goal his hard work and bravery deserved, to pull a goal back with a composed finish from 8 yards.

With the midfield and defence now functioning as a unit, an equaliser seemed inevitable and with 17 minutes to play, David Fallon sprung the offside trap on the halfway line and scampered forward, rounding the keeper before rolling the ball into an empty net to bring the scores level.

With a substitute not being an option for the Sabden side, they understandably started to tire, and regretfully, Celtic broke Sabden hearts with five minutes remaining.

Although the result is a negative one, the crowd of about 30 spectators had witnessed a good, sporting game and I am convinced that the boys will be tasting victory very soon.