Sabden 5 – 6 Hare & Hounds

Sabden 5 – 6 Hare & Hounds

It was always my belief that Halloween lasted only one night. Then there must be something else to explain the Jekyll and Hyde performance at the Nutter Barn, which resulted in Sabden somehow managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It all began so well! On a lovely crisp Autumn afternoon, a crowd of around 35 spectators saw Sabden blaze into a two goal lead within the first 6 minutes.

With only a minute on the clock, Ryan Graves played a sublime defence-splitting pass to the right edge of the area. Jonny Heap, making his home debut, ran onto it and hit it first time from the edge of the area. The Hounds keeper was caught out by the early shot and Sabden had an early lead.Things got even better five minutes later, and what a strike! Dave Kerrison, playing in an advanced role on the left, won the ball on the flank, and advanced before lashing an unstoppable 25 yard daisy-cutter into the net. Jairzinho eat your heart out!

Sabden pressurise the Hound`s defence in the first half

Despite this good start, the sticky pitch was not helping the Sabden passing game and keeper, Tom Diggins, making his debut for the Treacle Miners, had to show good ability in keeping the Hounds pressure from counting. However, Diggins was powerless to stop a 25 yard piledriver from searing into the top right corner of the net; a strike which matched Kerrison`s goal of the season contender for quality.

Always capable of causing mayhem with his dead ball delivery, Adam Fuller floated in a 35th minute corner. Hounds defence part cleared the ball, but Graves was lurking with intent on the edge of the area, to steer a 20 yard strike low into the left hand corner, to put Sabden 3 – 1 up, a score which they held comfortably until the break.

The spectators meanwhile had been feasting on delicious chocolate buns created by young fan Molly Capstick (washed down with extremely reasonably priced hot drinks I might add). And, having witnessed four goals of supreme quality already, were no doubt looking forward to the second half.

From a Sabden point of view, the second half was mostly a tale of woe. From playing in a cohesive manner in the first, the team never got into their stride at all in the second half. Despite this, they managed to extend their lead to 4-1. Michael Hickey, who played well throughout, did some neat footwork on the right hand side of the area. Feeding a short ball to Jay Bates in a more central position, Bates tried his luck at goal. The hounds got a block in, but the ball bobbled kindly to Adam Fuller near to the penalty spot and Fuller showed his ice-man composure in guiding the ball into the net.

Adam Fuller (on his arse) skilfully guides the ball into the net












This goal arrived just past the hour mark; and it proved to be a Witching Hour for the red-and-blacks, as from this point, all cohesion bizarrely deserted the team.

Within 10 minutes the score was level at 4 – 4. If you think that’s bad, then within another 5 minutes it was 4 – 5. My mate Fergie (or old purple-nose as I would gleefully like to call him to his face) would say we did a “Devon Loch”

On 80 minutes, just as the Sabden management was about to throw caution to the wind with a 3-4-3 formation, the scores were levelled at 5 – 5. Fuller showed that there is not only Graves who can play the through pass! He gracefully lofted a ball over the heads of the Hounds defenders which David Fallon raced onto and managed to poke under the keeper`s body.

Frustratingly for all, within 2 minutes the Sabden backline was breached again and the game finished in a 6 – 5 defeat. On reflection, as a team, we did not defend well enough and Hare & Hounds deserved to edge the game.

Whilst we feel sorry we could not get the win, we hope our spectators enjoyed the game and the hospitality; especially the Chocolate Buns!! Ah well … there is always the cup ………….

Chocolate Buns by Molly