Sabden 5 – 3 Heys Inn

Sabden 5 – 3 Heys Inn

Sabden defeated 2nd placed Heys Inn to record their fifth consecutive league victory, and put Sabden right into the Championship mix, in an enthralling contest.

Sabden were out of the blocks quickly and harangued the skilful Heys team into making errors. On 14 minutes, David Fallon chested a cross into the path of the inrushing Paul Astin, who smartly volleyed the opening goal.

Heys worked their way back into the game, and only a last ditch block from Zac Musker prevented a 20th minute Heys equaliser, with the Sabden left-back being injured in the process.

On 29 mins, Heys did find a way past home keeper Nathan McCarney – a smart free kick from the left powerfully headed into the top left corner. Matters got worse three minutes later as the Heys striker coolly steered home a wicked cross; with McCarney again powerless to intervene.

With Heys dominating the final 20 minutes of the half, the Sabden boys were relieved to retreat to the dressing room at half-time with only a 2-1 deficit.

Sabden began the second half like wounded animals, with Jason Bates setting the stall out for the scrap with some bone-jarring challenges. It was from one such challenge that Bates eventually had to withdraw from the battle, but the tone had been set, and Sabden were not to be denied.

On 53 minutes, Astin`s shot beat the keeper and struck the post, but Fallon netted the rebound to level the scores.

The game ebbed and flowed, with both sides determined to take maximum points, which made for a thrilling game for the spectators.

Heys crashed a 14 yard shot through a crowded box for what seemed like a certain goal, but they were denied by a superb one-handed save by McCarney, and the indefatigable Ryan Ellis completed the clearance. From that point, Heys seemed to wilt somewhat, and the Sabden midfield smelled blood.

A 74th minute pass from deep sent Jacob Buggie clear, with two defenders snapping at his heels. The precocious 18 year old kept his head as he raced towards goal, and as the Heys keeper advanced, Buggie nonchalantly lifted the ball over him to put Sabden 3-2 up.

In his debut season, Buggie has netted 6 times in 8 matches; and provided 3 assists – a Sabden legend in the making!

One such assist arrived on 78 mins, as he provided the ammo for Astin to extend the lead. Fallon`s 2nd goal on 83, following a drilled corner from Adam Fuller, killed the game off.

To Heys` credit, they poured forward for an equaliser, and an unfortunate own goal on 88 finished the scoring, but the points stayed at Sabden.

Astin (14, 78), Fallon (53,83), Buggie (74)

Ryan Ellis was pipped to the MoM last week by Fallon. Another imperious performance at the heart of the Sabden defence got him the gong this week!

Like all of us, Molly is impressed with honest toil, and fully deserving of his cake this week is Jason “Bobby” Bates